Dear WSC Members,
During the May session of the WSC Executive Board meeting, we voted, pursuant to Governor Baker’s announcement relaxing COVID 19 restrictions, to allow in person meetings to resume, but with a few clarifications.
First, the General Membership meetings will resume, effective June 7, in a “Hybrid” meeting format until further notice. This means we will run the meetings in the club house in person, AND via Zoom. The hybrid format will enable members to choose whether to participate in person or remotely via Zoom: whatever makes them feel more comfortable. Please note that if you choose to attend the meetings in person:
- If you have been fully vaccinated, no face covering is required.
- If you have not been fully vaccinated, a face covering is strongly recommended.
Secondly, individual Activity Chairs are to determine the specific COVID 19 practices for their individual disciplines. What this means is that each individual chair may determine how to conduct business in compliance with the governor’s orders while also helping to ensure the safe operation of their respective activity.
On a personal note as the officer in charge of running the General Membership meetings, I want to encourage people to be cautious as we begin the return to normalcy. I am fully vaccinated and I believe the vaccines are effective. But this is only my opinion based on the available data. I know that many of our members are not fully vaccinated and are not able to be for various medical conditions. I want you all to exercise prudent personal caution. If you are not fully vaccinated, either wear face coverings, or continue to exercise social distance.
This hybrid approach will take a little getting used to, especially for me. I am charting these unfamiliar waters same as you. I will send out the pre-meeting emails as I have been doing. I hope to have as many members involved in the running of the club as possible. It is YOUR CLUB. I am only your servant and I hope to do the best I can.
I hope to see you in person, or virtually, June 7, 2021.
AL PRESCOTT, WSC President
Reminder: To avoid the observance of Independence Day, WSC’s July, 2021 executive board and general membership meetings have been rescheduled to the second Monday night of the month – Monday, July 12th, 2021.
Have a Happy 4th of July weekend and come to the general meeting a week later, prepared to enjoy Chicken Salad Finger Sandwiches for dinner.
Please see WSC Indoor Range Chair Chuck Steinhauser’s letter of July 7th, and WSC President David Martin’s letters of May 21st and March 19th to the membership about changes being made to club operations to comply with State and Federal directions to reduce the rate of infection from the coronavirus pandemic.
The current changes are:
7-Jul’20: From today’s Indoor Range Chair’s Letter:
- The Indoor Range will reopen on Sunday, July 12th operating under additional health and safety rules.
21-May’20: From today’s President’s Letter:
- Trap has resumed for WSC members only on a restricted basis using a new online reservation system and new operating standards. Also, payments for rounds may now be made online.
- Our Outdoor Archery range and 3D Archery course remain open to members.
- According to the State Reopening Plan, Hunting has recommenced. Members should adhere to Social Distancing guidelines and must follow state Hunting regulations. This refers to generic hunting – the Game Preserve has never stocked birds during the summer.
- 1-Apr’20: From the President: The entire clubhouse (including meeting spaces,
Indoor Range, and both bathrooms) is closed. Please avoid entering closed spaces except in case of an emergency for access to resources like the AED or landline phone.
- 1-Apr’20: From the Trap chair: The May 16th ATA Trap Marathon is canceled. The April 11th Marathon was already canceled.
- 27-Mar’20: From the Membership Secretary: Monthly New Member Presentations will be conducted online via Zoom videoconferencing until further notice.
20-Mar’20: From the Indoor Range chair: The Indoor Range (and its “inner” bathroom) is closed until further notice.
19-Mar’20: From today’s President’s Letter:
- E-Board and General Membership meetings are cancelled until further notice. We are investigating ways to carry on the club’s functions through online tools.
- Open Sporting Clays
and Trap shoots normally held on Saturday mornings in the spring/summer will be suspended until further notice. The activity chairs are searching for ways to carry on these activities in compliance with social distancing; possibly by changing the format of our shoots to allow small groups of members to participate on a staggered schedule.
We are developing an interim process to allow new members to join the club without attending a General Membership meeting. We will notify the membership once we have a process defined.
- The Children’s Fishing Derby, scheduled for April 18th is cancelled. If at all possible, a future date will be announced. All members should please mail in their tickets for the Fishing Derby. We will hold the promotional drawing live on Facebook on April 18th at 11:00 a.m. We appreciate all members that donated to help sponsor this event. The funds from the promotional drawing will be held in the Fishing Derby Account until the derby is held.
- We are considering a small stocking of the pond sometime in early April for members and families to fish. Remember: the 3 trout per day limit is in effect.
Despite these difficult changes, the Westford Sportsmen’s Club will remain open to members. Please take advantage of the club to get outside and decompress.
Remember while you are at the club to follow the guidelines for social distancing:
- Don’t congregate in groups larger than 10;
- Don’t gather in the club buildings;
- Maintain a 6 foot distance between individuals;
- If you are ill, please stay off club grounds;
- … and finally – WASH YOUR HANDS!
President, Westford Sportsmen’s Club
A club officer’s personal address book has been copied by hackers. They are masquerading as the officer in bogus EMails asking people to shop for gift cards on their behalf to be used to buy “Corona Disease” masks for veterans in “Hospice and Palliative care units”.
There is no club veteran hospice virus mask program. This is a criminal fraud. WSC officers will never contact members to buy gift cards on their behalf for any purpose. Do not respond to such EMails in any way.
Reminder: Because of the forecast snow storm, WSC’s December, 2019 general membership meeting has been delayed by a week, to the second Monday night of the month – Monday, December 9th, 2019.
Have a safe week, and come to the general meeting a week later (and an hour earlier than for regular meetings), with your potluck main dish, side dish, or dessert.